If I had to choose a legacy that my parents left me that I enjoy this time of year, then it would be the legacy of land. My dad was a farmer and rancher who loved the land and passed that love on to me. What a gift!
In October of each year, we begin the process of setting up our deer hunting operation. I love those trips to my pasture. There is so much peace when you step into nature. There is always beautiful reminders of renewal and growth.
Stepping out and seeing all that my parents provided for me in the gift of land, makes me know that they were not just thinking of immediate financial use, but setting me up for a future. You see, even though some view land as nothing but a tax burden, I see it as a savings account. But more than that, I see it as that strong legacy of being connected to God's creation.
Lots of people enjoy nature in a myriad of ways. I love just to go and sit and watch, breathe, and soak up all the sights, sounds, smells, of the fall and winter from a deer stand. It doesn't even matter most of the time if we are able to harvest. Sometimes the best gift is just unplugging and being....
Hopefully you are able to just be in nature.
"The pastures of the wilderness overflow, the hills gird themselves with joy, the meadows clothe themselves with flocks, the valleys deck themselves with grain, they shout and sing together for joy." Psalm 65: 12-13
No comments:
Post a Comment