It is said that Jack died the way he wished...on his motorcycle. He was battling cancer and had undergone some treatments. But I doubt that on August 31, 2011, he knew that his time was up. He was involved in an accident in Sinton, an elderly driver pulled out in front of him and he just had no where to go.
I learned many things about Jack at his service...more than I knew during our brief conversations. But I do know that Jack lived a "large" life. He was what one would call a "character". He was often asked how come he chose to become a Bandido in his late years and would always reply that he just wanted to do it all in the world of motorcycling. I know that he loved to go fast and travel everywhere.
I had hesitations about attending his funeral...didn't know how a kindergarten teacher would feel and look in the midst of a national gathering of Jack's club members. But in the end, it came down to this. Jack was important. He had loved ones, was a great friend to my friends, and he loved God, and God loved him. ( I found out at his service that he was a faithful church-goer.)
Pastor Mike, a member of the Tribe of Judah (a Christian motorcycle group), and Jack's minister, had some interesting tales about Jack. His told a story of a somewhat naive person who asked Jack, "How can you be a Bandido and a Christian?" In Jack's unique way, he insisted strongly that this person be at church the next morning at 11:00 to see for himself. Needless to say, that person was there waiting for Jack. In fact, Pastor Mike, said that perhaps Jack should impel more to attend church and perhaps Jack should also be in charge of fund raising. Jack was generous in his support of his church, especially helping with scholarships for young people to attend camp.
Pastor Mike also told the tale of Jack's marriage...at Chuck E. Cheese in Corpus Christi. I really don't think many people have been married in this restarant, especially a Bandido member. But Jack loved his family and the young. So I guess it was fitting.
It was an interesting day. Jack was a Vietnam disabled vet who had served in the Air Force. He was buried with military honors, had a VFW honor guard, and Taps was played an Air Force member. He was escorted by the members of the Patriot Guard. It was estimated that between 500-800 motorcycles were in the procession down Shoreline drive to his burial at Seaside Memorial Park.
Here are some pictures that I snapped. But before I show them I wish to add the parting thoughts of Pastor Mike. He talked about 9/11, he talked about service to country, and he talked about motorcycle safety. But in the end, he said that our lives come down to this: Jack didn't know when he got up on his last day, that the day would be any different that the previous days. Nor do we...so we should live our lives being right with God and the world. We should be ready, any day, any time. Its a sobering thought. But if you are right with God-then you are ready.
Rest in peace Jack Houston.
| Some of the motorcycles on just one of the parking lots of the funeral home. |
More bikes in the same lot. There were bikes on three sides of the funeral home, and on the streets surrounding the funeral home. |
| The motorcycle drawn hearse from Louisiana. |
| We were near the end of the procession. Look carefully to see how many bikes are in sight. We believe that the bikes probably spanned the entire length of Shoreline Drive. |
| At the burial. |
The number of people and bikes is amazing.
ReplyDelete