Yes, the year was 2003 and our lives took on a whole new meaning. At the time, I guess I really wasn't prepared to understand what the purchase of a beautiful red and cream motorcycle meant. And although I had visited motorcycle shops with Hank, and looked at awesome machines, I didn't realize that Hank was that ready to embrace an Indian motorcyle and all that it entails. Nor did I realize that my extremely frugal husband would spend money on himself. Hank always seemed to put himself last in the spending category around the house and seemed content with his hunting-outdoor lifestyle.
Now he had not only made a significant financial investment, but had changed directions 180 degrees in his choice of leisure activities. I didn't even know he knew how to ride a motorcycle. But not to worry as he immediately took a Rider Safety course and became a proficient and careful rider. He wouldn't even let me ride with him until he felt comfortable with the bike.
At first my butt and my thighs had to get used to riding. Also my timidity at speeds above 30 mph had to be conquered. And more importantly, trusting that 18 wheelers weren't going to smash us had to be faced. But once all of that was put into perspective, I became enamored with the riding experience. You really can't imagine how wonderful the view from the "bitch-seat" can be. After all, I trusted Hank implicitely with my safety and knew that after all of the years as a truck driver, he could read traffic and road conditions better than most. And I began to realize how sterile that riding in a regular vehicle could be. On the motorcycle you feel the wind, the heat, the cold; you smell everything...especially roadkill; and you get to see so much more detail of your surroundings.
But I know in my heart that while the riding experience is why we got into the motorcycle world, the benefits would extend further than that. After several tries in motorcycle clubs we came to join the Lake Corpus Christi Roadrunners. Now it all seemed to make sense. We found some wonderful new friends, reconnected with some old friends, and found that motorcycle riders are some of the most generous folks you'll ever meet.
Our group does not only enjoy the riding of motorcycles, but we really enjoy one another's company over a good meal. In fact, Hank and I say that we are an eating group with a motorcycle habit. And while this may be true, I know that these people would be there for one another no matter what. This past year has seen some hard times for members of our group and it has really helped to cement our commitment to one another as friends first and foremost.
I learned that motorcycle groups can be counted upon to fund raise for almost any reason. Our group has supported the Lions Club and their mission with their camp in the Hill Country. We've also attended many other groups' fundraisers. And once you get past the clothes (leathers) and the accessories and looks of the riders, you see really good people (for the most part).
In 2010, we purchased our second motorcycle: a beautiful blue and cream vintage. Now this entailed a trip out to Lowell, NC to see what prairie blue looked like. It also included a tour of the King's Mountain Indian factory-an extreme priviledge as the factory did not do tours for anyone! Thanks Mark Moses for arranging that for us. We spent several days in the area and really got to know the dealer and even had dinner with his family. We visited 2 motorcycle museums in the area also (more on those later). Once the paperwork was completed we headed back to Texas to anxiously await delivery.
Hank likes to travel long distance while I still prefer rides that go no more than 2 hours in either direction.
I have been known to follow the group in the truck and ride once we get to our destination. I guess my favorite destination is South Padre Island during the SPI Bikefest week in October. And while it always seems to mean that a vehicle will have problems (the Yukon-transmission, the red and cream Indian-roter/stater, and the 2010 Vintage-tire failure), it has always been worth the trip.
| The best looking bike at he rally ! We finally got some pictures in the shark's mouth. |
You also get to meet other Indian owners. These folks were from Mexico and believe me when I say that all Indian riders can speak the same language!
And my new favorite riding destinations are to the Rockport area and to Van's BBQ at Oakville.
| Van's resturant near Oakville, TX |
We also have learned that having motorcyles means wardrobe changes and that you can even redecorate your home! And it means that you get to become really adept mechanics. You have to be if you own an Indian 1200 miles from your dealer. I can now identify parts of a motorcycle, can distinquish different brands of motorcycles and can speak "motorcyle". You know, all those special terms that identify motorcycle culture-1% clubs, bitch seat (the back seat), rally, etc., etc., etc.
While I doubt that I will ever pilot or drive a motorcycle, I will always enjoy the view from behind. I enjoy looking at all kinds of bikes now, meeting and visiting folks of the same interests, and hanging out in motorcycle museums and rallies. I even wonder what the next bike we own will look like...um, that doesn't mean we are in the market, but it just means that we'll always be interested. If you've never tried to view the road from the "bitch" seat, you might consider it. It really is an experience!
| Leathers...important for weather and safety. |
| A small portion of the redecorated front room of our home. |
No comments:
Post a Comment