Saturday, April 30, 2011

Grandparents

Thoughts can be startling at times.  As I was driving away from work on Thursday, my mind went to a past time when it came up with the thought..."this would be a good day to go see Nannie and Papo."  Now, I'm not getting senile or anything and I know they have been gone for a good long while, but sometimes your heart and brain just are so wistful for your loved ones, that it momentarily forgets.  And now that I'm a grandparent, I guess my brain and heart hope that one day my grandchildren will remember fondly those times spent together.

I had planned on writing a blog about grandparents almost as soon as Luke was born and had set aside some photos to commemorate past and present loved ones.  So even though Luke may not know Great-great grandparents, Nannie and Papo or Great Grandma Pat and Papa Gene, he will be lucky that their traits and wisdom and characteristics live on in us!


Luke's great-great grandparents:  Nannie and Papo (Shorty and Annabelle Bates), Trey, about 7 years old and Lauren, about 3 years old.


Great grandparents:  Grandma Pat and Papa Gene Jackson (Hank's late mom and dad)



Grandma and Grandpa Goldapp (Mary's mom and dad)


Grandma and Grandpa Moore 


Grandpa Hank and Grandma Mary

As a grandparent, one of the things that we want to give Luke are all the wonderful memories of people who love him and even those who would have loved him if they were still here.  I know that my kids were so lucky to grow up near 2 sets of loving grandparents and one loving set of great grandparents.  Luke also will know how great it is to have loving grandparents just a few minutes away.  And even though we aren't so close by, we will make sure that he has wonderful experiences and loving memories of good times with us.

As a parent, I always miss my kids...even when they are grown up!  And now that Luke has come along, I am looking forward anxiously to those times that we will spend together.  I had to sit down last night and look at my pictures of Luke!  I can't wait to spend more time with him soon! 

(Maybe Lauren can help me figure out how to get rid of the lines under the scanned photos of Nannie and Papo and Pat and Gene.  My computer skills are limited when it comes to things like that!)

2 comments: